The Western Journal reports that there has been a breakthrough in the hammerlock Facebook, Twitter and other Big Tech social media have had on the population. For the last few years, these big networks had become creeping censors, eliminating well-known but more “fringe-y” conservatives and their news sites from mainstream sharing and distribution. Now, with Twitter and Google’s recent bans (or warnings) again quite prominent conservative or alternate news sites like ZeroHedge, the Federalist, and Carpe Donktum, it appears that a tipping point has been reached, with alternate social media Parler picking up one million new users in only about one week.
The Big Tech companies are on record for censoring, banning, blocking and even deleting the accounts and activities of conservative or otherwise intellectually honest individuals and organizations. Examples of note include: Laura Loomer, Robert Stacy McCain, Milo Yiannopoulos, Richard Spencer, Roger Stone, James Allsup, Candace Owens, Alex Jones and his site InfoWars, James Woods, an actor who is very conservative, Lindsay Shepherd, all have been banned or temporarily shut down on Twitter for posting conservative opinions Twitter does not like. many of these people have also been disables or banned on Facebook. Steve Turley has suffered deplatforming on Youtube apparently. We at The Duran have been shut down periodically, and Yours Truly is currently sitting out a partial ban on posting on Facebook for probably the sixth or seventh time, after having my primary account and all its contacts completely disabled and deleted last November.
The Western Journal piece, written by Christine Favocci, has some very interesting things to say:
Twitter is increasingly hostile to conservatives and their viewpoints, but users have found a refuge on Parler, a fast-growing conservative alternative to the popular social media platform.
According to the company’s co-founder and CEO John Matze Jr., Parler gained an additional 1 million users since around the time Twitter banned two popular conservatives last week, essentially doubling the number of users on the app.
“Our main focus is free speech — the idea that there’s no political censorship,” Matze told Stuart Varney on Fox Business on Monday.
“It’s a town square for people to get together and have conversations whether it’s about politics, about their hobbies or whatever it might be but without the idea that there’s somebody looking over your shoulder saying, ‘Is that a politically correct view or not? Is that one you’re supposed to have?’” Matze said.
“We really just want to do that while retaining people’s right to privacy,” Matze said, promising that his company does not sell personal data.
He also said the new users were “mostly conservatives” along with some young, leftist Black Lives Matter protesters “who’ve actually come to argue with the conservatives who are joining.”
“So it seems that it’s kind of a big movement,” Matze said.
While Matze said the company has many decency standards comparable to “daytime television” or acceptable public behavior, the platform doesn’t censor viewpoints.
“We don’t really care politically what people think; we just want people to have a discussion in a cordial, friendly manner like you’d have on a town square and that’s it — share information and communicate with one another.”
“We don’t care about your political views, we encourage people to debate.”
Parler also counts President Donald Trump’s son Eric and his wife as well as the Trump 2020 presidential re-election campaign as users, according to Forbes.
While many still maintain their Twitter accounts, Gaetz used the platform to explain the move and encourage his followers over to Parler.
“I’m on @parler_app. Follow me now! @RepMattGaetz,” he tweeted.
“Technology companies shouldn’t be able to put their thumb on the scale and reshape speech in our country. Features of the technology should apply equally to people regardless of viewpoint.”
Just last month, President Donald Trump officially pushed back, issuing an executive order seeking to strip protections that Twitter and other social media enjoy as a platform despite their editorial decisions that censor viewpoints.
Twitter has even flagged several of the president’s tweets, including making accusations such as “abusive behavior” for his strong language against the protesters who took over and cordoned off a section of Seattle known as CHOP which has since become a hotbed of violence.
But the recent influx of new Parler users seemed to coincide mostly with the recent blatant examples of Twitter’s editorial bias.
On Tuesday, Twitter permanently banned the account Carpe Donktum, run by Logan Cook, over supposed copyright infringement regarding a parody video. Parody is largely protected from copyright protection under free speech laws.
Trump often retweeted Cook’s memes and parodies, including the video which led to his being banned.
The video skewered CNN for its media bias using a clip of a black toddler and a white toddler, who are friends in real life, doctored to show how the network would use infographics to turn a heartwarming story into a contentious, racist narrative, according to Fox News.
Twitter also recently locked The National Pulse editor-in-chief Raheem Kassam’s account for sharing a video of three white people being stabbed to death during a Black Lives Matter protest in the U.K.
The social media company cited standards involving portraying an individual’s death.
“For some reason,” the conservative editor told The National Pulse, “the [George] Floyd death remains up on Twitter but the deaths of three white men at the hands of a Libyan asylum seeker must come down? People can draw their own conclusions.”
Cook had hundreds of thousands of followers with whom he can no longer interact on the site.
The good news is that Parler, which was founded in 2018, provides the perfect alternative to the social media bias that pervades Twitter.
In the meantime, the Goliath Twitter should take notice of the small but mighty social media company aiming a damaging shot between its eyes.
This appears to be well-confirmed from Facebook land as well, with an undercover video provided by Project Veritas shown below.
I joined Parler about ten days ago, following Facebook’s deletion of a group called Trump Train 2020 Red Wave let’s get 10 million members which happened on June 25th-26th, 2020. This group had grown to well over 800,000 members who were extremely enthusiastic Trump supporters. They supported our pieces on The Duran greatly, only to be deleted without warning and without explanation. The group is reconstituting itself now under the name Trump Train 2020 Red Wave let’s get 1 million members, but it only has 24,500 members now. As we reported in this piece, the strategy of Big Tech appears to be to disrupt and isolate conservative activity by making it impossible for people to gather together and organize. Knowing of one another’s existence is powerful, and the Ministers of Propaganda at Castle Zuckerberg knew precisely where to strike.
However, they did not count on their actions spurring the explosive growth of a new network – one they cannot touch.
Kind of like how the polls could not find all those Trump voters before 2016. One can hope…
The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Duran.